Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Atari Emulator -> Tutti Frutti

Since I'm running out of Atari games to geek out about, why not pick this one?  I may have seen the ads in one of the old Atari magazines, either Compute or Antic, as those were the ones I was very familiar with.  Can't even remember how; must've been that Atari guy our family hooked up with oh so many moons ago.  But again, like Kid Grid, note the disparity.

So, this is an original Ross painting... that's Scott Ross, not the zen figure of Bob Ross, everyone's favorite dead painter.  You got the big happy face, the promise of ice cream, a birthday cake, and even though this painting's got more colors than the Atari could actually handle, there's the promise of a fun time at the home arcade, right?
Now, take a look at the actual game.  It's... I SAID, LOOK UPON IT!!!!!  I mean, what is that?  Okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh.  And I do like the fact that diagonal movement is allowed.  Also, don't get greedy when the thing chasing you is too close.  I like the inherent lesson there.  I mean, it'd be like if you're in a Baskin Robbins, and a policeman's there to take you away, but you go ahead and reach into one of the buckets for one last handful of ice cream before they throw you in the paddy wagon.  Idiotic move, right?  ON THE OTHER HAND, there's that whole pesky Basic (TM) angle as well.  See, grandchildren, apparently this was a game written in Basic, yet sold for $39.95, which means you have to have the Basic (TM) cartridge in the computer.  See, cartridges were... ah, skip it.  It's like a thumb drive, but you can't save any files onto it.  But I do like the fact that the edible Perimeter Walkers are a little smart; if you wait for it at its starting location to eat more, it moves!  Very mean.  I confess: I'm looking for some kind of shortcut.  I don't have any answers, any secret shortcuts to the Big Office at the end of the Crystal Staircase.  Meantime, why not have a little fun diversion to take my mind off the Eternal Struggle for a few minutes?


Tutti Frutti's official home at Atarimania... I'm assuming that Adventure International was the original publisher

NOT in the Mushca collection yet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment