Sunday, May 17, 2020

Atari Emulator -> The Electroids

Mushca Disk 123 - The Electroids... you have to look under 'T' alphabetically, BTW

The Electroids at Atarimania


Another ANALOG type-in game.  I guess that makes sense.  Again, a six-digit score.  That's confidence, innit?  Well, I'm an old man now and probably couldn't flip the score like I could at 13.  But this is the closest I'll ever get to playing an Atari game that features a poop emoji.  So basically... this is like a game of Pong?  You are Nerdstrom, green manager of the one room girder factory.  Your job is to keep the poop emojis away from the portals.  Not easy, because they seem to want to go.  If you do manage to lose one... and don't worry, because you will... you will lose five energy points.  Hmm!  This is strangely similar to Pack Man, another game of energy points.  But at least "The Electroids" is a little bit more lively.
There are many girders in the one room girder factory, and you start just south of the middle, but you quickly find your way to the bottom, with little to no chance for advancement.  At least, none that I can divine with my limited game vocabulary.  And there seems to be no manual to help me.  You can try to jump by pushing the up button, but no dice.  You're too overweight for that.  If you're used to playing Joust, well... I mean, you're just going to find this downright frustrating, there's no two ways about it.
Now, you keep the poop emojis afloat by having them bounce off your head.  If they bump into you left to right, you quickly lose lots of energy points, as any advocate of Atari player/missiles can tell you.  About 60 per second, so try to keep those meetings short.  There's advancement to other "levels," even though I hardly see the point of that.  I mean, God bless James Hague and all that, but I think this one is his Daikatana.  Yeah, that's right... I went there.

No comments:

Post a Comment