Sunday, September 10, 2023

Mr. Robot, Level 'J'

...oops! Looks like I took the screen capture a little bit late. Gonna lose some followers on that one! Anyway, whew! I'm pooped. And we still got more new features to get adjusted to! We got all the usual suspects: power pills, extra men, the ubiquitous dots... but what is this? Are those magnets? Yes they are! Now, you will notice that there are actually two magnets: a small one, and a large one.  Need I go on?  I could... but I won't.  Pass on the suffering, that's my motto to the gamers.  Sure, there's probably a web site or two out there with explicit instructions... there's probably a YouTube (TM)(C)(R) video or two.  Let me check... my work is done here. (sniffs, wipes away tear)  ...or is it?  After all, look at all the platforms they have "walkthroughs" of!  Apple II, Commodore 64... this NES version of Spelunker is what's wrong with video games... if only for me.  The avatar's cuter, the game play's way less dangerous.  Lode Runner and Sokoban all got the Gameboy (TM)(C)(R) Cute-ification treatment.  Now, THIS is what I'm talkin' about!  This was before Broderbund (TM)(R)(C) bought it from Tim Martin and Micro GraphicImage.  Broderbund did, however, fix it.  The one main bug was that if you get two of the more points-laden artifacts in a row, you don't get the full point value.  Micro GraphicImage only used one byte as a point counter.  Broderbund used two... okay, maybe just nine bits, but STILL!  Anyway, this all brings me to my next point: magnets.  I hate to sound like a rich record executive... but I did just watch the Clive Davis documentary on Netflix (TM)(C)(R)... okay, I listened to most of it from the next room, but I think I got the gist of it.  Anyway, games like Spelunker, Lode Runner, Sokoban, Boulder Dash... no magnets!  Robbo?  Yes magnets, but deadly!  All you can do is block them with the Sokoban-like blocks you push around.  Doom, Doom II, Quake?  No magnets.  Microman?  Magnets, but they're bad.  Fortunately, you can shoot at them!  You need to fire about a thousand bullets or so, but... totally worth it!  Okay, I'll give you one insider tip: when you're under the influence of the magnets, and you're climbing a ladder... keep climbing!  Because the magnet will pull your ass off.  And second... nice job on the multi-tasking!  Keep up the good work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment