Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Atari Emulator ---> Vanguard

It's been a while since I geeked out about an Atari video game, and I don't want to fall completely out of practice!  So, despite the lack of genre description at Atarimania.com, it's Defender-ISH... I think I played this once on MAME, but didn't finish.  On the Atari, on the other hand, I played it a lot; probably too much.  There seems to be three speeds: fast, faster and way too fast.  Two levels, five or so zones... probably got the best music of any of these games!  Okay, best musical variety.  Almost every genre is represented here: patriotic, whimsical, boogie, New Age throb.  As for the ending with ... ugh... the "Big Boss," as we call them now.  I think we just called it the Last Level, and that was fine.  Was the game awesome or not?  That's all we talked about!  Can't talk; playing.  But now that we're a Smartphone-addicted, managerial-dependent species, it's "Big Boss" from now on.  And Vanguard's "Big Boss" is probably one of the most well-defended of the bosses.  I mean, think about it!  You got the top wall with teeny holes in it... two walls, and you really gotta be quick.  You got the side bullets, you got the bottom walls that trap you in.  I mean, if you don't get this guy within the first five seconds, you're basically screwed.  I never tried the "Single Shot" mode when I would play this game on an actual Atari computer, and it's probably why I'm where I am today.  Make the tough choices now, kids.


Vanguard at Atarimania

Mushca Disk 47 - Vanguard, amongst others... Dimension X is basically Vanguard, but in 3D... Attack of the Mutant Camels is also a Defender-ish side-scroller... and who doesn't like a little Candi now and again?  Wait a sec...

No comments:

Post a Comment