Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Atari Emulator -> Synapse Software's "Survivor" by Richard Carr

As opposed to the popular '80s band, or the popular reality show.  This is one I didn't have in the glory days, when I had an actual Atari computer... of course, the real Atari purists would probably question whether or not the 1200XL counts.  Well, at some point, you want something more powerful than the 400 (love that keyboard!).  WAY more powerful than the Vic 20.  Why not just get an Altair 8800 while you're at it?
...sorry, got off track again.  Well, what can you say about Richard Carr's "Survivor"?  Part Bosconian, part Astro Chase... familiar, yet something completely unique.  So far, I couldn't get past Level 3.  It's kind of a shame to destroy all the guns of these enemy fortifications, seeing as how they can also destroy the endless army of free-floating player/missile ships that come after you!  No, this is more of a young man's game; the older I get, the less my frail heart can take the ceaseless throbbing of those aforementioned free-floating ships.  I hate to see what Level 7 is like!  See, this is why I'm not a true gamer.  True gamers would beat Level 7 of this game, the Expert level of Shamus, Level 6 of Protector II, what have you.  I was able to beat Level 1!  Well worth it, too.  For my money, though, Carr's other Synapse game, Air Support, is the real classic.  I played that one a lot on the 1200XL for some reason.  And yet, joining the Army was never a priority for me.  I'm full of contradictions that way.

Atarimania home of Survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment