Saturday, November 27, 2021

Bounty Robert Strikes Back, Level 12: Acid Rain


Hot Ziggety!  I'm doing great tonight.  Probably should try to get to bed soon, however.  You know, I can't think of any popular games on Facebook, let alone the Atari, that has anything remotely to do with the environment.  Well, maybe Farmville 3, if they have Carbon Credits or something.  And if they give thought to importing water for all that stuff you grow, or animals to feed, or Macaroni and Cheese trees that need harvesting.  

Come to think of it, nuclear waste has a rich tradition in Atari games.  Take the James Hague classic Uncle Henry's Nuclear Waste Dump, par ejemple.  And of course, the instant case and its much more beloved predecessor, Miner 2049er.  No, for the most part, video games aren't concerned with the state of the Earth's environment.  They are an environment unto themselves, and you can usually start over from scratch, as with Boulder Dash and others.  And all the while, the eyestrain takes its usual toll.

Guess I'm getting too far afield here.  I think the "acid rain" in this level is my new, favourite obstacle of them all.  Reminds me of this one classic game where you have to guide a space shuttle through a series of moving walls.  Or the walls you have to shoot through in Shamus 1, then try like hell to get out of the way of all the bad guys that INSTANTLY APPEAR AND KILL YOU!!!!!!  And then of course, there's a mini-level in Castles and Keys that's similar.  Otherwise, sort of an ordinary level.  But that's good, right?  Good to have some balance.  And I'm finally starting to develop a little stamina.  I think I finally made it to this level with at least three lives.  That level 5 (Jumping 101) is still a bit of a mother, and of course my favourite way to die: on Level 6.  You're riding the "grain elevator" up, and you try jumping off.  But instead of jumping off, you end up falling off of it!  Making a nice Bounty Bob pancake way down below.  Now, when you jump left or right and make a Bounty Bob pancake, you're probably asking yourself, why, Video Game Lunatic!  Shouldn't the pancake be spread out in said direction?  Alas, it's the mystery of the Atari player / missiles, my friends.  I bet the Commodore could handle such grotesqueries, but not the Atari player / missiles.  No sir.

Will you get killed by a Mutant if you just Stand There?  Maybe.  I didn't check yet.  But it is kind of a good idea to haul ass before the first wave of "acid rain" finally drips down to the bottom of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment